Bogart’s Bitters: 2018 Non-spirit Cocktail Ingredient of the Year (if it was up to me)

Disclosure: my interests in cocktails tend to be heavily biased toward the 19th Century.

So, last year Stephan Berg and co. trotted out their Bogart’s Bitters product:

They made much of its ostensible authenticity and accuracy as a reproduction of Boker’s Bitters, but I see two intractable problems with that:

1. their work on this product pretty much comes down to a solitary, hundred-year-old sample
  2. I have absolutely no way to evaluate or verify their claims, and I never will

Here’s what I can grant:

1. the bitters perform extremely well, although you will use a bit more of them than you would Angostura (indeed, the Bogart’s bottle does not have a dasher top)
  2. I love them

When I say Bogart’s performs, I have in mind something specific that I can only write about in a vague, roundabout manner. When I got into cocktails in the 1990s, there was Angostura, and if you worked hard, you could get Peychaud’s. If you traveled to Japan and knew the right people at Suntory, you could score some Hermes orange bitters. That was it. Eventually, Dr. Cocktail got Fee’s into the cocktail bitters business, and Gary Regan got Sazerac Co to collaborate on an orange bitters, and then the flood began and we’ve now got dozens upon dozens of “bitters” on the market. In my opinion, almost none of them are bitters; rather, most are flavor drops and entirely novel. Yes, real bitters are bitter, and yes, they contribute flavor and character, but they also function as a sort of flavor binder for the other ingredients in the drink. I do not understand how this works, and clearly most people out there making “bitters” don’t understand, either. (I’m not even convinced Stephan Berg and co. understand.) My suspicion is that only certain botanicals can deliver the binding effect, much in the way that “vermouth” made without wormwood seems to cease performing as vermouth.

Well, Angostura is the absolute benchmark for this “flavor binding” performance. Peychaud’s is not as good at it, but clearly possesses an essential role or three. In my opinion, Bogart’s is at least decent at flavor binding, and it provides a viable drop-in alternative to Angostura. Whether or not Bogart’s is an accurate reproduction of Boker’s, it works fantastically well in the 19th Century cocktails that call for Boker’s. Beyond that, sometimes it’s really nice to be able to get away from the Caribbean flavors of Angostura. (I’d say Bogart’s has more in common with the Fernet Branca flavor profile.)

Put some of this Bogart’s in a Gin Cocktail with Old Duff Pure Malt Wine Genever, and I’m in heaven.

Caveat: In addition to their lower concentration, Bogart’s contains an enormous quantity of coloring. I’m not sure why. This stuff will darken your drink, for better or worse.

3 Likes

The effort and detail put into the packaging alone—that bottle~!—is promising. How would you compare them to Dr. Adam’s take?

1 Like

I have a bottle of Adam’s Bokers and, alas, I find it pretty useless. I’ve tried it over and over in all the drinks it’s supposed to work in, and it’s bitter, but that’s about it. That’s my experience. :grimacing:

Some folks seem to like them.

One thing I can guarantee you is that the two products have virtually nothing in common (other than perhaps some ill will).

After months of fruitless hunting in the wilds of West LA, I finally broke down and ordered a bottle online.

Jiminy crickets is it good. It’s given my Old Fashioned new polish, but it positively glows in a Manhattan.

Can’t wait to see how performs in other classics.

1 Like

Your “binding” effect would seem to be related to the “fixative” or “radiant” property that @Bostonapothecary and people connected to the perfume world mention. As far as I can tell, there is a class of chemicals, the rose ketones, which bind to and amplify the effects of other aroma compounds. I’m told that angelica and orris root are “known radiants,” which should be present in large quantities in any good bitters. Apparently Radiance > Hogo – Boston Apothecary is the place to start.

1 Like

Kevin Peterson of the Castalia bar in Detroit just covered ideas about radiance from botanicals in his new cocktail book: Cocktail Theory: A Sensory Approach to Transcendent Drinks

It turns out that some gin botanicals like orris or angelica may have a minor radiant effect somewhat similar to heavy hitters like damascenone which the perfume industry goes ga-ga for. Some gin distillers hype their importance in a formulation but have a hard time articulating the contribution; you will simply prefer when they are there.

When I analyzed angostura bitters with the birectifier, one of the things I posited is that it gave what ever it was mixed with a bump in HVC’s (high value congeners) and that is correlated with pleasure. A dash or two in a hollow spirit fills a void and you get an increase in luxury and opulence.

Its nice to see this conversation pop up. I worked on a lot of this stuff 7 + years ago and even though interest in spirits rages on, I’ve always gotten little interest in this stuff from producers. I don’t think we have scratched the surface of what is possible.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been trying to encourage Kevin to get on here :grin:

Edit: hahaha @Nosestradamus

1 Like

As long as we’re revisiting this topic, I want to agree as hard as possible with the original post. I’ve got maybe 25 bottles of bitters but never reached for anything but Angostura, Feegan’s, or Peychaud’s.

Bogart’s is the first “new” bitters that earned a place on my bar, instead of forgotten in a drawer. It’s just delicious. I don’t find Adam’s Bokers palatable, although of course that may just be my taste.

How accurate is the recipe from Imbibe, Jamie Boudreau’s blog, and Art of Drink with quassia, calamus root, catechu/betel nut, cardamom, dried orange peel? And do the modern remakes taste like that?

My 2008 batch notes: cocktail virgin slut: boker's bitters

To my knowledge, Boudreau’s is no more accurate than a guess. I’ve never had it.

The recipe from Imbibe is a period one that was floating around, but having since tasted actual Boker’s bitters I am now less confident in its accuracy.

I think the best analogy for radiants is salt with regards to cooking. If you analyzed a pot of chili, you’d find a pound of meat, pound of beans, pound of tomatoes, etc, and maybe a few grams of salt, way less than 1% of the total mass. Yet that salt, in the right amount, is what will make or break that chili. Too little and it tastes flat and dull, too much and it’s inedible. Also, salt on it’s own is not very appealing to eat. In common with salt, radiants with regards to scent:

• are ideal at very small percentages compared to everything else in the blend.
  • don’t smell very good on their own. I think of them as a catalyst for other aromas.
  • become overwhelming and sickening at too high a concentration.

There are some literal radiant molecules, that @Bostonapothecary and others have described, and there are some ingredients I find to have ‘radiant’ effects, although I don’t know the exact molecule(s) that might be responsible. Orris, angelica, bay leaf, ambrette seed, black cumin, most animal-derived scent ingredients (musk, civet, ambergris) check all the boxes for radiant qualities.

I’ve been making a house bitters I actually call “Radiant Bitters” for my bar in Detroit, Castalia, for a few years. I’m working on sending a bottle to @Bostonapothecary for birectifier analysis, and I’ll paste the recipe here. Everything is equal parts by mass, macerated in 151-proof rum (Cane Run) for 2 months, then diluted to 75 proof and chill filtered.

Bittering Maceration
Burdock root, gentian root, cinchona bark, wormwood

Flavor Maceration
Coriander, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, fresh orange peel

Radiant Maceration
Orris root, angelica root, schisandra berry, bay leaf

3 Likes
1 Like