Novel Coronavirus effect on bars & restaurants

I think the magazine where I place most of my freelance work in France has gone under – they’ve just not gotten around to telling us. And the one in Spain is now producing everything in-house. Happy days.

1 Like

Donna, another fine Brooklyn cocktail bar, will close on Nov. 28. Beautiful interior. Some very good bartenders have passed through there.

@RobertSimonson reporting on the planned closure of 21 Club

1 Like

There’s a possibility it may come back. Rumors swirl that this is less about Covid and more about breaking the union. The company that runs it is owned by one of the richest men in the word. They can afford to wait it out. But who knows? History has shown they value the property so little they might just give it up. Would hate to see that interior disappear. And cellar with its secret Prohibition era door should be in a museum.

1 Like

I actually went to a bar yesterday (Porchlight). The parameters were acceptable to me: sparse seating, I’m half vaccinated, my friend was fully vaccinated, the staff was fully vaccinated.

At first, I almost didn’t know what to do. Luckily, we figured it out. The drinks were quite good.

Chatting with the manager, staffing is a problem, particularly f0r the higher end restaurants. After all this disruption, a lot of experienced people one knew just aren’t around any more. Some come back, some refuse to.

Last week I had the pleasure of revisiting Maison Premiere, now that it has miraculously reopened. The only two program differences I noticed from when I was there prior to the pandemic:

1. the (very) small menu of food that wasn’t from their raw bar has not returned
  2. no happy hour (which for MP mainly meant discounted oysters)

I don’t particularly miss the food menu, but I do hope the happy hour returns once MP gets back on its feet.

But perhaps business models are changing?

1 Like

Food for thought from Jeffrey Morgenthaler:

Via John deBary:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/restaurants-are-desperate-to-hire-my-coworkers-arent-ready-to-come-back/2021/08/27/ecaeb500-f60c-11eb-a49b-d96f2dac0942_story.html