Grande Liqueur Père Blanc

Hello! I just joined the forum. I don’t see a “Introduce yourself” forum category, so I’ll do it here. I’m sort of “semi-retired,” having spend over 40+ years in corporate life. During that time, I traveled quite a bit, almost exclusively for leisure travel. The first travel out of the USA/Canada was to the Benlux region in Europe.

While there, I was introduced to a cordial with which I fell madly in love. It is a product of Luxemborg, called “Père Blanc.”

The best way I can describe the flavor is a very, VERY sweet (but very intense/hot) ginger flavor, even though the ingredients have no ginger at all. Very smooth and very sugary. As the bottle empties and the alcohol starts to evaporate, it gets even more sugary sweet with that hint of ginger. But don’t let too much alcohol evaporate, or all that will be left is a “simple syrup” of sugar and ginger like flavor. You can tell that the bottle is beyond its time when you start to see crystalized sugar residue around the bottle top (i.e. around the cap area).

Sadly, to my knowledge, the product is not normally exported to the USA for retail sale. You have to get it in Luxemborg or close by (Belgium, etc.). When I last visited the area in the mid 90’s I picked up two bottles, along with a Grand Marnier. The first bottle is gone, and the 2nd is about 2/3 gone, but still has retained enough alcohol (no sugar residue, yet). When I last checked, the manufacturer would be willing to ship odd lots (i.e. min. 3 units) to the USA but at a cost… Roughly $120 US after shipping costs and taxes/duties for 3 units.

Thus, my questions -

1. Has anyone heard of this beverage?
  2. Does anyone know of a US based source for it (a “specialty/exotic” shop that will ship)?
  3. Are there alternative ways to get the product to the USA (i.e. is there a store that does specialty orders)?

Thanks much, and I look forward to participating!

This appears to be a regional product with limited distribution elsewhere. The big English mail order outfits (Master of Malt and Whisky Exchange) don’t list it—those are often the easiest way to mail order European liquor to the US. For now, you might have to book a return trip.

There’s a little historical info here:
https://www.industrie.lu/pitzschweitzer.html

If it tastes like ginger but doesn’t contain ginger, then it might have turmeric or galangal in it.

1 Like

This appears to be a regional product with limited distribution elsewhere. The big English mail order outfits (Master of Malt and Whisky Exchange) don’t list it—those are often the easiest way to mail order European liquor to the US. For now, you might have to book a return trip.

In that case, then I may as well go with the “odd lot” order of 3 units and pay the $120.00. Much cheaper and safer. But first, I’ll try those English Mail Order outfits and see if the can get it more easily. I was also thinking of having a friend that might be traveling that way ship me a couple of bottles while they’re there. Of course, I’d pay their shipping and purchase expenses.

1 Like

Apparently, neither of the above will ship to my location. “Master of Malt” does not ship at all to the USA, and Whisky Exchange does not ship to my particular state (Florida). Ah well. I’ll try some other routes.