Non-alcoholic “spirits”

So this has been my greatest non alcoholic success for my favorite drinking buddy (my wife) who is 2 weeks from delivery! Monday makes a pretty great saturn when mixed with BG Reynolds non alcoholic falernum. Still creates a complex cocktail and mimics the flavor profile well (albeit without the bite). It has definitely been the most wothwhile nonalcoholic substitute we’ve tried and we massively prefer it to the Seedlip.

1 Like

It seems very tasty.

5 Likes

@John ‘s point about the many tangled desiderata of a “non-alcoholic spirit” is well taken. I have also been disgusted with the taste of every product I’ve encountered that is intended to replace distilled spirits. I’ve had friends in recovery tell me they don’t even want anything that approaches the form or function of an alcoholic beverage, regardless of its alcohol content. That said, I see the most valuable function of an n/a drink is flavor complexity with low sweetness. Drinks like n/a aperitivos and bitters are nice to stock at work, where an engaging sensory experience is a refreshing break from sustained focus, and the allusion to the forbidden is a relief from constraining propriety. Variation in hydration is also important to counter the evaporation from our unblinking, blue-light-bombarded eyeballs. Shoutout to the Lagunitas Hoppy Refresher.

1 Like