The Daiquiri Dossier

Rum Reader holding some sort of Daiquiri panel at Slowly Shirley on Sept. 18. You should see if you could take part, David.

Alas I took part in the first one they did, at Death & Co., and I think that’s probably quite enough of me and my crotchety opinions.

1 Like

David was the stalwart of our initial panel, but since the focus is on people’s interpretations of the Daiquiri rather than one Daiquiri truth, there are many talented people to include, and I wanted to add new voices. But there’s never enough @Splificator and his crotchety opinions.

The lineup for September 18 is Dave Arnold, Shannon Mustipher, Eryn Reece, Jim Kearns, and St. John Frizell as moderator. We will have some seats available for industry folks and fans; I will post about it soon.

David, there’s a different kind of event I’m hoping to do as a follow up, which might be an appropriate showcase for your talents. More anon.

Of course, any future events are dependent on a bit of favorable press, @RobertSimonson!

2 Likes

As promised, here is the upcoming All-Star Daiquiri Discussion at Slowly Shirley in New York on September 18. There are very few tickets available, but I wanted this crowd to know about them.

2 Likes

Last September’s all-star discussion of the Daiquiri between St. John Frizell, Dave Arnold, Eryn Reece, Shannon Mustipher, and Jim Kearns has made it into print. Recipes included, as well as a surprise appearance of @Splificator.

The Daiquiri Dossier returned for two long-postponed events in spring 2022 in the fine cities of Chicago and Boston.

1 Like

I did not get as tasty as I would like

I feel like I’ve already inquired about this in the past and received an answer, but now I can’t find it:

In El Flordita’s booklet, Daiquiri No. 3 is subtitled “Maidique Style”. What is the Maidique reference?

1 Like

Modesto Maidique was a “colorful” Cuban Senator of the late 1920s who liked to challenge those he argued with to rapier duels. In 1931, he shot the former Secretary of the Interior to death in a shoot-on-sight pistol duel. He was released from prison in a general amnesty in 1933. He was certainly the first person any Cuban of the early 1930s would have thought of if they saw the name Maidique.

5 Likes

I did not see that coming. :joy:

So, I guess that makes the No. 3 the “spicy” Daiquiri? Should I be wary of grapefruit?

3 Likes