What we’re drinking

Black Flip

Bonus: you get to finish the bottle of stout afterwards.

1 Like

Is a recipe for this beauty available?

PDT app/book.

2 oz of the Black Chocolate Stout (swirl in shaker to decarbonate)
1.5 oz of Cruzan Blackstrap
0.5 oz demerara syrup
1 egg

Dry shake, shake with ice, strain into sour glass; ground nutmeg.

That sounds good. I was actually replying to the previous Cider Punch, however!

Merci beaucoup pour votre aide.

1 Like

As someone with little appreciation for novelty in vermouth, this Bermutto sake-based product is pretty neat.

1 Like

I’m waiting for a bottle of a Spanish sake ‘vermouth’. That they’re claiming they’re the only one doing this in the world when a simple google search yields the one you bought doesn’t really augur well, though.

The Stuart 1904 Liberal Cocktail, discovered via Martin’s New & Improved Index (thank you, sir). It’s really hitting the spot.

I hadn’t realized until tonight that the other versions are Manhattan-adjacent, whereas this one is more like a fancified Boulevardier. Equal parts rye, Amer Picon (I used Bigallet China-China), and red vermouth (La Quintinye), and a spritz of absinthe. I might have to have another.

3 Likes

So I realised yesterday that I’d never made the first version of the Spanish Vermut Cocktail, which would go on to become the Marianito / Preparado, Basque Country’s typical vermouth serve to this day (see Combinación thread)

2 teaspoons simple syrup
1 tsp curaçao
1 tsp gin
6 drops (dashes!) of Angostura Bitters
9 cl Noilly Prat (that’s more than implied in the recipe but what the heck!)
Twist lemon

I’d drop half the simple or get rid altogether, but this, in case anyone wondered, delightful.

(Make this with entry-level Italian sweet vermouth or any Spanish rojo instead of Noilly and you have a taste of Bilbao in your glass…)

2 Likes

I’ve been receiving a lot of new vermouths lately, and I was genuinely excited when I received this one. Valdespino makes two of my favourite sherries (Fino Inocente and Amontillado Tio Diego).

I mixed it in an Adonis, with La Guita (owned by the same company – didn’t have Inocente at hand). Very good, of course.

![IMG_7009.HEIC|375x500](upload:

//lMqwYotC6IMSw9UPzupKe1hm28D.jpeg)

Valdespino Vermouth may well challenge your perceptions of the sherry vermouth category. Most sweet, red sherry vermouths rely on PX for their sweetness, with either amontillado or oloroso for the dry part. This is an oloroso / moscatel blend and the flavour profile is much closer to what I expect historical sherry vermouth (this is not a new style!) tasted like than anything on the market currently.

I’m also very happy they’ve released a Quina. This is a completely under explored category for cocktails and even aromatised wine enthusiasts have little familiarity with it. It’s nothing like a quinquina, nothing like a china to. It’s its own thing.

I assume this will make it to the US in the coming months.

2 Likes

On a whim I tried a Hot Toddy with kirschwasser, and I kind of love it.

1 Like

I’ve always felt kirschwasser is underrated. As far as I know, it first shows up in layered pousse cafés in the 1870s, but eventually we get to Harry Johnson’s Kirschwasser Punch:

Build in a glass:
2–3 bar spoons sugar
1/2 oz lemon juice
1 splash seltzer
Stir to dissolve.
Add:
3 oz kirsch
3–4 dashes yellow Chartreuse
Fill with ice.
Stir.
Garnish with fruit.
Serve with a straw.

What’s not to like?

Kirsch has a pretty healthy showing through the forties before—I think—growing more obscure.

1 Like

Kirschwasser Punch is actually quite old–Grimod de la Reynière mentions it in 1807 in his Almanach des gourmands as a thing well-known. That said, Harry Johnson’s recipe is a thoroughly sound one.

I’m exceptionally, almost compromisingly partial to Giovanni “Johnny” Mitta’s Rose Cocktail, as served at the Chatham bar, Paris:

2 oz dry vermouth
1 oz kirsschwasser
1 barspoon red-currant or raspberry syrup
Stir, strain.
Cherry.

3 Likes

Kirschwasser Punch (Johnson, 1882). Was hoping for a little color from floating the yellow Chartreuse, but no such luck. Freaking delicious, though.

1 Like

This is intriguing to me. I presume the one Grimod knew was a large format drink along the lines of what’s in JT (well… first Schultz 1862, then JT 1876)? Interesting the punch is not in the Oxford Night Caps, but maybe not so surprising the kirsch wouldn’t be common/popular in the England of that era? Have you seen any single-serving adaptations prior to Johnson?

Yes, Grimod’s was almost certainly a bowl drink. Kirsch was considered exclusively a German/Swiss/Alsatian specialty, but it was definitely part of the French drinks world, no doubt via Alsace and the French part of Switzerland; in any case, there’s a recipe for a mangled sort of Kirschwasser Punch (kirsch, hot tea, sugar, vanilla sugar, no citrus) in the 1866 La véritable maniere de faire le Punch by “Turenne,” the foundational French punch book. If the English drank it in punch, it was when they were on the Continent, where all kinds of strange things happened.

Johnson’s 1882 version is indeed the first single-serving version I know, although it’s also repeated in the 1884 Byron book, which otherwise shows little influence from Johnson–this suggests that they might possibly share a common source. If so, I haven’t found it.

2 Likes

I made one the other day, poorly, and it turned out like a weird dilute cough syrup. I persevered, however, and am very much enjoying the one I made tonight.

My mistake was something to do with too-old lemon juice, superfine sugar, too little sugar, or too much Chartreuse.

In my experience, Johnson’s spec works verbatim, assuming you have a proper bar spoon, and with the caveat you have to decide what 3-4 dashes means (I used about 1/2 oz). There may be room for refinement. Also, there is some significant variation in flavor profile across kirsch—I use Trimbach, which is less woody than some.