Essential figures

Well, there’s this, from 1898.

1 Like

Wrote the first cocktail book from Boston, the first American drink book to contain the Dry Martini, and wrote some cooking books as well. Was apparently influential in the Boston scene, and according to two recent bar guests, he gave talks at Harvard (they had their parents’ signed copies of Muckensturm’s books after attending a talk Louis gave). Louis died in 1918 and never got to witness the Marliave continuing on as a speakeasy. What Prohibition couldn’t do to shut down that 19th century powerhouse, the Pandemic did.

1 Like

This is the current blurb we have for Muckensturm. That anecdote about him speaking at Harvard is intriguing! Thanks for the year of death. That enabled me to find this notice in the Boston Post:

BOSTON POST, TUESDAY, OCTOBER 1, 1918 SERVICES HELD FOR LOUIS MUCKENSTURM Funeral services for Louis Muckensturm, known far and wide as a Boston restaurateur, who died from the grip, were held yesterday in the Church of the Notre Dame des Victoires on Isabella street. Mass was said by the Rev. E. Bertram. was 42 years old, and was born in Alsace

Found cemetery:

1 Like

The cemetery doesn’t contain his plot location information and wants $10 mailed in with a request letter for them to find it. Buried in the same small cemetery as the Kennedy clan, various Boston mayors, and political figures. Too many plots to just meander, although the map does show a German section (depending on whether they considered Alsace was German or French…).

So far the biggest Boston cocktail-related “celebrity” grave that I’ve found is ice king Frederic Tudor’s which is in one of the cemeteries in downtown Boston. Sadly, not too many other pre-Prohibition Boston drink makers or related that I know of besides Tom Hussion (Locke-Ober bartender who the Ward 8 is attributed to) despite Boston being a very wet town.

Also, Louis wrote another book Louis’ Every Woman’s Cook Book. It was unclear which my guests inherited since both cook books have similar covers to the drink book (they said that it looked like a match set).

1 Like