Starting this thread for a variety of reasons, one of which is to establish a potential parallel line of discussion to the Unions & Bars thread. In my opinion, they are not unrelated.
Last night (a Wednesday), friends and I tried to grab a pre-dinner drink at the lobby bar at the Waldorf-Astoria, and our welcome was that there would be a two drink minimum.
Yeah…
Setting aside that we didn’t want two rounds, didn’t have time for two rounds, and many people shouldn’t or can’t drink that much in one sitting, this is a bar where the drinks already cost north of $30 apiece. I guess some genius at the Waldorf-Astoria decided to it was time to establish a $100 minimum spend per customer (with tax and tip). This, at a hotel lobby bar.
For want of a better term, I would call this experience anti-hospitality. Better suggestion?
Needless to say, we went elsewhere. We bounced off the Monkey Bar (utterly overrun) to the bar at the Modern restaurant at MoMA. There we were welcomed and immediately accommodated. The staff were infallibly gracious, the drinks good (and about $20 each).
This experience was good hospitality. (Danny Meyer style.)
Unfortunately, I am finding that variations on the former experience are becoming more common (in the United States), and the latter rarer. I am souring on bothering to go out.
–
This is a 2.5 hour interview with Angus Winchester from 2025 that many here have already seen, but I encourage everyone interested in this domain to give it the time. It has chapters, so it can be consumed in parts.
