Learning resources during shutdown

I, along with many of my cocktail slinging brethren, am taking advantage of our mandatory sabbatical to do some deep dives into spirits and cocktail methods and history beyond our usual geekery (I’m also trying to finally learn something about wine beyond its color, but perhaps that is a different post).

What is everyone studying or learning during the shutdown? Any resources that can be passed along to the community?

One of the best new resources I’ve found is Maggie Campbell of Privateer rum. She has started an incredibly informational podcast, and is doing twice weekly AMAs via Instagram Live (@halfpintmaggie). Learning a ton from her on the minutiae of rum production.

2 Likes

Alas, rather than tending to my reading list, I’m programming up a storm. Or maybe that’s a good thing? Time will tell.

There’s a ton of good stuff in the droll Life Behind Bars podcast that Dr. Wondrich and Mr. Rauthbaum do. I’m pretty sure @Splificator is dribbling out in that (and other Daily Beast articles) some of the research he’s been doing that will ultimately appear in the Oxford.

It’s never a bad time to re-read Imbibe (2nd Ed.), Punch, Potions of the Caribbean, Sippin’ Safari, or Liquid Intelligence. I also recommend Matthew Rowley’s Lost Recipes of Prohibition: Notes from a Bootlegger’s Manual—an overlooked gem, perhaps because the title doesn’t quite hint at all that’s on offer.

I’ll also point out the videos Jeremy Foyd has been making: he makes a real effort at research on some. https://www.youtube.com/user/DistinguishedSpirits/videos

1 Like