I’m mid-vacation here in Palm Springs. Being within driving distance, I’ve been able to cart along a fairly well-stocked selection, but I’m curious: what select bottles and mixers would you bring to a hot poolside destination, and what cocktails would you plan for?
I’ve gone two ways. On vacation, I’m usually pretty lazy, so I keep it simple and seldom mix anything. Booze on the rocks, stuff like that.
However, I’ve also been known to assemble a kit for turning out Tiki drinks. That generally means some subset of the following, plus an “extra bottle” (e.g., rhum agricole if I specifically want to make Mai Tais):
- limes, grapefruits, oranges, lemons
- bottle of lighter/Spanish general-purpose rum (today I’d probably take White Stache, but a decent rummy amber would suffice)
- my house jamaican blend (2/3 Appleton Estate VX 1/3 Smith & Cross, or whatever)
- a bottle of demerara 151 rum (today that’d be Hamilton 151)
- pineapple juice (whatever works)
- grenadine (small bottle)
- pimento dram (small bottle)
- absinthe (small bottle)
Anyway, I can get in plenty of trouble with all that.