What we’re drinking

There was no data moving from my corner of Maison Premiere so I posted as I left. :slight_smile: We were gobbling happy hour oysters.

1 Like

As always while in the kitchen and waiting for something to happen, I turn my attention to the vermouths in the fridge that need drinking and whip up something. In Diplomate territory today. Still one of my fav lo proof classics.

The Spanish vermouth is a nice enough organic one from Montila-Moriles. Mixes 8-yo Oloroso with PX.

2 Likes

Experiments with a modern sweet Martini concept

1 Like

Sipping on a pour of Ardbeg Corryvreckan and it is hitting the spot. We are moving in a few weeks so any bottle that is .3 or below I am trying to lighten the load.

1 Like

Moves are critical times for people with large spirit collections. Some bottles make the move, others don’t.

Yeah this time a good portion will be getting the axe. I find myself only reaching for a few bottles these days and the majority of stuff sits in a closet. I believe a punch party before the move will help with getting some last use out of the bottles not making the cut.

Finale
from deFleury’s 1700 Cocktails

2 parts dry gin
2 parts dry vermouth
1 part kirsch
1 part crème de noyaux
stir/strain

1 Like

Or “I enjoy a Rose but I need more oomph”? How was it?

It’s ok. Quite a dry, astringent drink. I suspect it has potential for refinement.

1 Like

Spent the early afternoon by the grill with a mint julep. Finally feels like spring in Chicago.

“Then comes the zenith of man’s pleasure.
Then comes the julep ­­– the mint julep.
Who has not tasted one has lived in vain.
The honey of Hymettus brought no such solace to the soul;
the nectar of the gods is tame beside it.
It is the very dream of drinks,
the vision of sweet quaffings.”

Lewis Bag drying methods? At the bar we used to hang them over a beer tap or a bottle in the rail. At home, I fashion a similar situation. Curious if anyone goes a different route.

1 Like

1 Like

The Third Degree

International Bastard and Donga Punch

1 Like

Greetings, everyone. This is my first post here. Martin, thank you for the link. It’s an honor to find this community so early on. I’m Miles Maquarrie from Kimball House in Atlanta (technically Decatur), Georgia.

Tonight I’m having one of my all time favorites and a drink that’s been on our menu since opening in 2013: A Sazerac.

We do ours with:
2 oz Rittenhouse
1 Tsp Peychaud’s
1 Tsp Gomme Syrup
4 dashes Angostura and a heavy rinse of herbsaint.
Lemon peel expressed and rested on the top of the glass to avoid making anyone angry. Cheers!

2 Likes

I like how you roll, sir.

1 Like

Welcome Miles! I don’t often reach for a Sazerac but when I am in the mood I always enjoy it. I do find that I like a mix of Ango and Peychaud’s bitters like you make it. Glad to have you around.

1 Like

Some drinks are worthy of silver. Not all.

It’s been a brutal feck’n day.

Remsen Cooler

Using Hayman’s Old Tom Gin, I think you want a gin:soda ratio around 2:3. And this glass was too big!

The (probable original) Hurricane, from the RonRico Mixtro’s Guide, in a RonRico promotional glass. Sans garnish. And sans RonRico rum, but it’s a pretty tasty, if rudimentary, drink.