What we’re drinking

I like how you roll, sir.

1 Like

Welcome Miles! I don’t often reach for a Sazerac but when I am in the mood I always enjoy it. I do find that I like a mix of Ango and Peychaud’s bitters like you make it. Glad to have you around.

1 Like

Some drinks are worthy of silver. Not all.

It’s been a brutal feck’n day.

Remsen Cooler

Using Hayman’s Old Tom Gin, I think you want a gin:soda ratio around 2:3. And this glass was too big!

The (probable original) Hurricane, from the RonRico Mixtro’s Guide, in a RonRico promotional glass. Sans garnish. And sans RonRico rum, but it’s a pretty tasty, if rudimentary, drink.

Thanks to @martin for telling us about this forum, over on another. Pleased to see the discussions already taking place, especially concerning history and its misrepresentation.

Working (and drinking) on a condensed version of Beachbum’s Coconaut, using a locally spiced, imported rum (Rum Diaries Spiced) coconut cream and lime. Instead of 2-4 serves, aiming for 1 and upping the coconut, and dropping the blended ice.

Ancient Coconaut
1.5oz Spiced Rum
4oz Coconut Cream
3/4oz Lime
3 drops of Pernod
dash of Angostura Orange Bitters
dash of Peychaud’s Bitters

The plan for this evening is to open up some bottles of Empirical Spirits I’ve had waiting to taste for half a year, Charlene McGee, Souk and Fallen Pony. Getting close to opening the doors on our little dive-tiki bar, the terror is being averted by tasting all of the things I’ve had in storage.

1 Like

This is a shaken drink?

Shaken and served over ice in a tiki mug.

Cracked a bunch of great spirits tonight, all three of the Empirical Spirits were delicious, but the Fallen Pony (quince tea/kombucha spirit) was my favourite. Also tried the Clarin Vaval and Sajous Haitian Agricole Rhum, both were excellent, but the Sajous was far more tropical. My kind of spirit.

1 Like

Got tipped to this one from another forum.

It’s delicious.

Dutch East Indies Daisy
by Erik Lorincz, The Connaught Bar

• 1½ oz Batavia Arrack
  • 1 oz lime juice
  • ½ oz crème de cacao
  • ½ oz sugar syrup
  • 2 bar-spoons fennel seeds

Shake all ingredients with ice and fine strain into a cocktail glass rimmed with cocoa powder.

(I skipped the cocoa powder rim)

Fennel seeds? You strain them out after shaking?

Yes, the fine strain strips them out. Toasting the seeds a little before mixing is probably advisable, but I haven’t done any A:B testing yet.

The Fox Trot, from Ensslin.

It’s a daisified Daiquiri. A rum-a-rita. Light cuban-style rum (I used Hamilton White ’Stache), lime juice, and curaçao. It’s ok.

2 Likes

The Pirata, from R. de Fleury’s 1700 Cocktails For The Man Behind The Bar (1934)

2 parts dry gin
2 parts vermouth blanc
1 part Chartreuse
Stir/strain

I’m a bit over Chartreuse these days, but this is a rather good drink.

Here are a few suggestions on what folks at least could be drinking: lesser-known cocktails from tiki’s vast canon.

1 Like

Sazerac.

1 Like

@AudreySaunders’ supremely refined Tom & Jerry is a defining treat for me this time of year. Of course, I enjoy the classic version, too—particularly when someone else makes it for me—but this more homogenized interpretation is my favorite.

2 Likes

No argument from me.

Boulevardier. With bourbon.

1 Like

Good for you. Was in Grand Army the other night. Bartender told me that if someone ordered a Boulevardier without specifying the whiskey, he would do rye. This is the new world.

1 Like